Computer Simulation is a problem solving technique.
- there are various definition of computer simulation.
- It is an experimental method. Application of simulation is indicated in the solution of problems of (a) systems design (b) systems analysis. Simulation is resorted to when the systems under consideration cannot be analyzed using direct or formal analytical methods.
[Claude McMillian, Richard Gonzales: Systems Analysis, 1965, Irwin Inc]
- Another important aspect about simulation is captured in Shubik’s definition:
“A simulation of a system or an organism is the operation of a model or simulator which is the representation of the system.”
Martin Shubik: “Simulation and the theory of the firm, [American Economic Review, L, No.5,1959]
Why do we want to simulate a
- To understand it
• To control it
• To predict its behaviour (without risky/costly/impossible
• To optimize it
• To rationalize decisions, opinions (misuse possible here!)
• To train people working with the system
• To implement realistic computer games
• To compress information
• Find examples!
computer simulation from Atom to Structure
- The development and application of molecular simulation as a tool to better understand materials has received significant attention. Flexibility, integration and changeable properties play a critical role in the establishment of a new era of materials manufacturing.
Not limited to nanotechnology, this field aims at designing and producing the bestperforming material at minimal cost. Hierarchical materials, with their expanded design space and potential for synergetic interactions of mechanisms across scales (below Figure), promise to play a very important role in enabling our ability to design structures for very different purposes, to reconfigure, reassemble and redefine properties on demand. An emerging concept is the exploitation of the “multiscope”, which reflects a systems perspective on the use of multiple length-scales in generating designer materials.
simulation techniques types
- simulation techniques are in categories based of length scale by Markus J. Buehler that he is an Professor in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at the MIT.
definition of this techniques come in items of computer simulation page into main menu. see below figure.
- please share your comment with me [firstname.lastname@example.org] to develop of computer simulation, thank you 🙂